Well, it’s here…the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012! I can’t believe everything that happened this year…especially this surprise!
When I look back on 2011, I smile. Although there were some challenges, I’d have to say that the spouse and I were very blessed over the last twelve months. For the second half of two thousand eleven, we’ve been looking forward to welcoming our baby in twenty-twelve so, as you can imagine, we’re a little anxious for it to get here.
But, before we wave good-bye to the year I got knocked up, there’s a few things left to do. I scheduled a pre-natal massage this afternoon to enter 2012 relaxed and refreshed. My closest gal pals are getting together tomorrow afternoon to celebrate the year behind us and the year ahead. And my spouse is whipping up a special feast to accompany the ringing in of the new year.
Of course, there’s also new year resolutions. Around this time one year ago, I set out my eleven NYR in 2011 and it’s time to find out how I measured up. It looks like a few things will be reappearing on the 2012 NYR list, but overall I’m pleased with the results….
1. Finish Outstanding 30 Before 30 Items – Status: EPIC FAIL. Not only did I not accomplish them, I didn’t even take the beginning steps to start working on them. These last items have been moved to the Bucket List (and perhaps you’ll see them on a future 40 before 40 list one day). They will be accomplished at some point in life!
2. Read 2-3 Books per Month – Status: Winning!! Er…sort of! Okay, I didn’t quite knock this goal outta tha …library. But, I did read a lot this year…more than in previous years. I probably averaged 1-2 books per month rather than 2-3. Some of the standouts include: Bossypants, Water for Elephants, Born Standing Up, It’s Not How Good You Are It’s How Good You Want to Be, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (still finishing that one), Outliers (still finishing that one too), The Help, Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, Eat Pray Love, An Object of Beauty, Unmarketing, History of Love, and all these pregnancy books.
3. Redesign my Blog – Status: Totally did that! Really lovin’ the shape and direction this blog is going….hope you like it too.
4. Save Up Down Payment for New Car – Status: Achieved and now re-resoluted. Got myself a great “commuter” car in 2011 and will be revisiting this goal in 2012 for a good “I’m a parent now” car (note: this is no way suggests minivan).
5. Bake Frequently – Status: Winning! I baked a lot this year! I made lots of breads, cookies, and recently mastered pies. It was a successful baking year indeed!
6. Get Organized & Be Punctual! – Status: Hahahahahahaha. I dream….
7. Paint My Fingernails Frequently – Status: Removed from list. Yeah, I dropped this goal in June. My nails look weird with paint so I opt for a sheer coat of clear polish and regular buffing.
8. Run in ONE race per month – Status: Half-accomplished. I’d like to say it’s because I was pregnant for half of the year, but if I’m being honest with myself, I started falling behind on one race a month immediately. However, keeping races on the horizon did serve it’s purpose. I was frequently motivated to exercise (even while preggo) at the idea of doing a race. In fact, I’ve been doing a pretty good job with my new workout plan anticipating that I’ll be running in the Resolution 5k this Sunday (we’ll see what happens)! You can find the races I did manage to do here: Race 1, Race 2, Race 3, Race 4: Volunteering, Race 5, Race 6: Spectator
9. Enter a Writing Contest – Status: EPIC FAIL. Read about a lot of contests. Got intimated and didn’t do them. I’m scared.
10. Drink Less…of Everything but Water – Status: Accomplished! My success can be attributed to the bump. This little guy requires so much water and won’t let me have alcohol or caffeine (at least not too much) so…water it is!
11. Write a Hand Written Note to One Friend or Family Member each Week – Status: Half-Accomplished. Like so many resolutions, I started off strong on this one and then slipped. I did manage to get a note out here and there and became slightly more timely with things like thank you’s and birthday cards…but I definitely didn’t get this done every week. I really enjoyed doing it when I did mange to press a pen to paper and always got a sweet reply from the recipient. Definitely a practice to continue.
Next week, I’ll share my 2012 resolutions with you. Have any suggestions? What’s on your 2012 To Do List?
I hope you all have an incredible last couple of days in 2011!! And I wish you a very Happy 2012!!