Happy New Year!
I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful New Year’s Eve! Whether you celebrated by partying all night or going to bed early, I hope it was a great start to 2012. Our NYE was celebrated over a late dinner with close friends and small champagne toast at midnight. It was perfect!
Since the clock struck twenty-twelve, New Year Resolutions (NYR) have been on my mind. Surprisingly, the more I’ve thought about what I’d like to accomplish or achieve, the more I’ve become grateful for where life has taken me. While there is still a voice inside that is constantly pushing me further, asking for more, and wanting to be better, I’ve also started listening to the voice that reminds me to relax, enjoy life, and find balance.
Maybe it’s being pregnant or maybe it’s getting older (turned 31 in December….boooo!) but I’m finally starting to feel a sense of balance physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. I was surprised to find I felt this way (and grateful!) but I am also practical. As I prepare to be mother, I am certain that keeping this new-found serenity will be challenging.
So in 2012, my resolutions will have one resounding theme – balance. You won’t find any extreme goals and crazy plans on this list. Instead, the resolutions below will hopefully help me keep a sense of peacefulness while learning how to be a mom. You can all laugh at me when I’m pulling my hair out and crying because I’m overwhelmed by parenting, but let me dream for now.
1. Lose the ‘baby weight’ by end of year + 6 pounds. I was six pounds heavier than my goal weight when I got knocked up.
2. Run the Bolder Boulder in May. This will be my 9th Boulder Bolder in a row…but it will be only eleven weeks post-delivery. Eep!
3. Run a half-marathon in the fall. My BFF did it seven months post-delivery and I want to do it, too!
4. Put 10% of salary into savings. We’re ready for a new house and I need a new ‘mom’ car so saving is crucial!
5. Execute 2012 plan and exceed goals at work. My 2012 plan at work was created with maternity leave in mind, but I want to step it up in the months that I will be present and make sure they don’t forget about me while I’m gone. (I joke….sort of).
6. Explore freelance writing projects. Not sure I have the skill-level or connections to get anywhere on this but I have to try if I ever want to make something of this writing hobby.
7. Spend five minutes a day praying/meditating. Once baby arrives, I imagine quiet moments will become non-existent. I’m hoping to start a meditation practice that I can continue into motherhood to help keep me sane!
8. Continue to volunteer as a lector at church. This 30 Before 30 item ended up being so much more fulfilling than I ever imagined.
9. Limit volunteer commitments to those that truly resonate with my values. I have a tendency to say “Yes! Sign me up!” to everything. It’s time to take a step back and put a greater effort towards a few, meaningful projects rather than half-ass my way through a lot of miscellaneous items.
10. Read two books a month. Really enjoyed this resolution in 2011, hoping to keep the habit going.
11. Enter a writing contest (re-resoluted from 2011). Okay, this time I’m gonna do it!
12. Spend more quality time with friends and family. I’m tired of hearing the words, “I’ve been meaning to call but I’ve been so busy,” sheepishly leaving my own lips. The people in my life are the most important thing and it’s time to start acting like it.
Twelve in 2012. I like it.
Do you make resolutions? If so, what are your goals in 2012?